BACON WRAPPED JALAPEÑO QUAIL RECIPE
You Will Need:
1lb Realtree Bacon
1 Box of Realtree Quail Breasts, thawed
1 Tsp kosher salt
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup shallots
1 Tbsp garlic
1/4 cup bourbon (optional)
2 Tbsp maple syrup
2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp salted butter
- Preheat oven to 450ºF, or if grilling, preheat grill to medium-high.
- Cut 1 jalapeño into 14 strips, and cut 7 slices of bacon in half.
- To prepare quail: season each breast with salt then top with 1 strip of jalapeño and some shredded cheese. Fold breast over then wrap entire breast with 1/2 piece of bacon. Secure with a skewer or toothpick. Continue until all breasts are wrapped.
- Place on a lined baking sheet and bake or grill 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, dice 4 to 5 slices of uncooked bacon, and place in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook several minutes to allow some fat to render out and the bacon to begin to crisp.
- Finely dice remaining jalapeño then add to bacon along with minced shallots and garlic. Cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add bourbon and carefully set on fire (using a stick lighter) to allow alcohol to cook off.
- Once alcohol has cooked off, stir in maple syrup, mustard, and apple cider vinegar. Bring to a simmer for 1 minute, remove from heat and quickly stir in butter.
-Serve sauce in a small bowl next to quail.
*When in doubt, always cook next to Uncle John's Pride sausage. :)